Do you deliver goods to customers on a multi-drop basis? If the answer is yes, you will need courier insurance. Furthermore, if you charge a fee to carry goods or need to transport your own goods to carry out a job you’re being paid for, you will also need courier insurance.
Couriers tend to cover a lot of distance due to the multiple-drop aspect of the job, which means extended mileage and more time on the road, which in turn means more chance of being involved in an incident.
What is courier insurance?
To break it down, courier insurance is needed if you are delivering products, such as parcels or newspapers, to multiple places in one sitting. The type of courier insurance you need is very much dictated by how you’re moving your goods and what with. If you are transporting larger and heavier goods purely from A to B in a single journey, you will specifically need hire and reward insurance rather than courier insurance. While both are similar to each other, it’s important that you obtain the correct insurance for your needs - our expert courier insurance brokers at Commercial Vehicle Direct will be able to help.
What types of courier insurance are there?
The type of Courier insurance required is very much dictated by the what and how you're moving your goods.
- Hire & Reward - this type of insurance policy allows you to deliver other people's goods. If you don't have this in place for this type of activity your normal standard motor insurance will be invalid.
- Own-goods - this is the movement of your own goods and equipment between locations.
- Courier - this is more suitable for multi-drop like newspaper delivery or those delivering documents.
Get courier insurance quotes
As courier insurance brokers, Commercial Vehicle Direct can:
- Give access to market leading rates
- Ensure all individual needs are properly catered for
- Provide immediate courier insurance for both UK and EU driving licences. If you’ll be travelling in Europe, our Brexit page has more information regarding any new policies.
- Offer optional extras to ensure specific needs are met
Why you need courier van insurance
There are certain risks that are associated with courier work. Couriers may be perceived by insurers as generally being in a hurry so that targets are met, and therefore more likely to have an accident. Consequently, having the correct courier insurance is a legal requirement. If you fail to hold the right courier insurance, then your insurer may deem your insurance invalid and you will not be protected if you need to claim. If you are only a courier part-time, it is possible to get temporary courier insurance. Our expert courier insurance brokers can help find the best temporary insurance for your needs. Courier Insurance can also come with:
- Goods in Transit – this protects your goods as well as your vehicle
- Public Liability Insurance
- Excess Protection
- Breakdown Cover
We offer these (and more) optional extras, all of which are available for purchase on top of your courier car or van insurance. Whilst courier insurance for your car or van protects any costs involving your vehicle, it doesn’t cover the cost of the goods being transported. You can add goods in transit insurance on top of your courier insurance to ensure belongings are covered. Our parent company Brightside offers goods in transit insurance from experienced brokers who can add it to your policy.
CVD Courier Blog
Now more than ever, knowledge is power in the courier business, not just for couriers themselves but also for those that utilise them. For even further information about courier insurance, as well as interesting and fun explorations into the world of couriers, check out CVD’s catalogue of courier blog content. Be sure to check back in future for new stories and information from the courier industry!
- Courier Insurance Requirements for Businesses – See more information about the dos and don’ts for couriers looking to get insurance cover.
- Best Green Courier Brands – Sustainable energy is becoming an increasingly prominent issue in the minds of many. Explore our list of the most notable green courier brands operating today.
- The History of Couriers – Explore our timeline of the evolution of the courier business from ancient times to the modern day.
- Weirdest Things to Have Been Delivered – Curious to see what strange things have been delivered by couriers over the years? Here you’ll find a few examples.
Our best quotes are done over the phone with our commercial vehicle experts.
Fill in the form below and we'll call you back:
- Van Insurance
- Existing Customers