Our cookie policy

We use cookies to give you the best possible experience of our website. If you continue, we'll assume you're happy for your web browser to receive all cookies from our website. See our Privacy & security policy for more information on cookies and how to manage them.

Our response to Covid-19




What you need to do if you’re travelling to the EU after 31st January 2020 in the event of a no deal Brexit. 

In the event of a no deal a Green Card will be required for all vehicles which travel in the EU (including travel from Northern Ireland to the Rep of Ireland) after 31st January 2020. It is required to prove you have the right level of insurance to drive abroad.

Who does it affect?

It will affect you if:

  • you’re travelling to the EU before this period and returning after 31st January 2020,
  • you’re travelling to the EU after the 31st January 2020;
  • you’re travelling with a trailer weighing over 750kg before towing you will need a separate Green Card.
  • You do not need a green card if you’re renting a car in the EU after this time because the rental company will provide local insurance.


What if I’m involved in an incident in the EU, involving my vehicle, which wasn’t my fault and I am unable to claim from the third party?
In this instance the Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB) would intervene and claim back the costs from the compensation scheme in the country where the accident arose (excluding France, Romania and Poland). If you’re travelling to these countries you may want to consider additional cover such as Motor Legal Expenses)

Who needs a Green Card?
You will need a green card if you intend to drive your own vehicle in the EU in the event of a no-deal Brexit

When do I need a Green Card?
You will need a green card from 31st January 2020 in the event of a no-deal Brexit, this includes customers who are already in the EU on the 31st January 2020.

What is a Green Card?
It is an international certificate of insurance proving a minimum level of cover for driving in the EU.

What countries are covered by the Green Card?
Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France (inc Monaco), Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy (inc San Marino and the Vatican City), Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Rep of Ireland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

How do I get a Green Card?
Just call 0333 222 4563, (Opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am to 5:30pm and Saturdays 9am to 1pm.)

What information do I need to provide to get a Green Card?
You will need to have the following information to hand when you contact us by either email or phone

  • Your full name
  • Policy Number
  • Registration number of vehicle
  • Dates of travel
  • Purpose of travel
  • Country/countries of travel
  • Please highlight if you will be towing a trailer

How long will it take to get a Green Card?
Please allow at least 14 days before travel

Can I get the Green Card myself?
No. As a policyholder of Commercial Vehicle Direct you will need to get the Green Card through us using the contact details provided.

Do I need to do anything if I’m towing a trailer?
Commercial trailers weighing over 750kg and non-commercial trailers weighing over 3,500kg must be registered before they can travel to or through most EU and EEA countries. This means the trailers must be registered with the DVLA, display their own registration plate separate to the vehicle towing them, and be able to present the Trailer Registration Certificate to a foreign authority upon request.

Do I need to do anything regarding my UK driving licence when travelling in the EU?
UK driving licence holders visiting the EU and intending to drive in that country may require an International Driving Permit in addition to their UK licence in order to be able to drive. The requirement will vary by country, e.g. an IDP is not required for Ireland.